måndag 14 juli 2014

Jpop: Top 25 of first half of 2014

Started as a mainly a kpop blog, this year I have really started posting more of Mandarin/Cantonese and Japanese pop. While it was quite easy to find my top 20 songs for the Chinese list, the japanese selection proved something much more challenging. First I removed posts about videos not from this year (with one exception…), which meant several great videos being removed, and then I only chose the best songs of each artist. Even then I had to admit defeat and make the list a top 25 to make room for all the songs I want to remember extra well. And as always, this is my personal subjective choices, of course.

25. Kindan no Tasuketsu - Ainu Land. Some music you just should experience. It may not be music you will listen much to. But you should be aware that it exists. Like Kindan no Tasuketsu.

24. Tanaka Alice - Tokio. Her Chicks and Nerdz was just so cool, and while the newer Tokio isn't quite up there, it implies more greatness to come from miss Tanaka.

23. Wagakki band - One Thousand Cherry. Taking vocalic songs and playing them with traditional instruments - that's what Wagakki band does. Lovely, I say.

22. Urbangarde - Sakura Memento. I couldn't bring myself not to write about both of Urbangarde's videos as they are both visually a must-not-miss, together with charming songs that is all jumping with energy.

21. Ringo Sheena - Blink of Youth. The production of this remake is world class and Sheena is so beautiful in her singing.

20. Happiness - Juicy Love. This new video represents a more fresh and mature look to Japanese idol pop that I hope will spread.

19. Inshow-ha - Beam! The video is a very charming piece of artful make-up futuristic scenario, and their sound is unchanged and still very special.

18. L-Vokal feat X-Man - Alien. The rap is just so…fascinating. It is not often one can say that hip hop is charming, but that is just what this is. All the electronica is a strong reason for it too. Laid back and loving.

17. Fairies - Super Hero. The Fairies are slowly maturing, and Super Hero is a good example of this.

16. The Telephones - Hyper Jump. An aptly named song which has double the energy of most girly idol group dance numbers, which is much in itself. Love the happy and wild passion combined with a indie feel.

15. Exile Shokichi ft Verbal and Sway - Back to the future. This is very much eurodisco and eurovision song contest for me. Am I not right? ;-)


14. Tokyo Girls Style - Cross Movie. The song being nice, I still have to admit that the gorgeous gothic style of the video plays a role in me liking this video.

13. Mamadrive - Onna no Ana. Sweet rock is how I would describe this. The softer sections are just heaven.

12. Passepied - Matatabistep/Photochemical Disco Tune. The music and the voice. A combination of harmony and contrast that works great for Passepied.

11. Especia - No1 Sweeper. This is the most retro jpop I know being done right now among jpop groups. Dangerously charming it is.

10. Denki Groove - Missing Beatz. This is probably the coolest video I have seen this year. The beat is all this song is about. And what a beat it is. Even though it is from 2013, I actually don't give a shit, this had to be here. ;-)

9. Suiyoubi no Campanella - Kung Fu Lady. Talking kind of song, and totally geeky. And of course I love it!

8. exist†trace - Spiral Daisakusen. Just the description of exist trace - all female visual key, is enough  to make them interesting, but their music adds another reason for listening, with a kind of rock pop that is clear and distinctive.

7. Mamadrive - Onna no Ana. Sweet rock is how I would describe this. The softer sections are just heaven.

6. Juice=Juice - Naked, Naked, Naked Kiss. This time they go for a dark flamenco look, with matching music, making it quite a nice video.

5. C-ute - Love take it all. A charming disco-themed number, C-ute again showing of their ability to lift songs another step with their passion.

4. Ken Hirai ft Namie Amuro - Grotesque. Two great singers doing a great uptempo duet.

3. Charisma.com - Hate. This is the second song that I blogged about this year that is actually from 2013, but I could in no way skip it as this duo is something none interested in Japanese music should miss. The vocal attitude and aggression is super, mirrored so well in music and visuals.


2. Berryz Kobo - Love is always inside you. Ah. The fighting spirit of this one makes me almost teary eyed at times. Oh, how I love the video and the song for it taking the idol dancing concept and pushing it to its limits.

1. World Order - Have a nice day. My dear heroes of World Order. As if your fantastic dance number wan't great enough, you had to this glorious video that catches the essence of Akibahara, the epicenter of Japanese otaku-ness (nerdiness). This is what made me spontaneously change the name of my blog (thereby losing 2 1/2 years of internet presence…) earlier this spring, as it really struck home to me. I have been to Akibahara and Tokyo two times and I will never forget that this is what I am at heart, a nerd dreaming of happiness.



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar